U.S. Patent 9,376,627 B2, issued June 28, 2016. “Ore Froth Processing.” Inventors: B Rivard, M Lipsett, J Feng.
U.S. Patent 7,481,318, issued Jan. 27, 2009. “Apparatus and process for coalescing bitumen in an oil sand slurry,” Inventors: B. Bara, M. Lipsett, W. Maciejewski, S. Ng.
Canadian Patent 2,445,645, issued May 20, 2008. “Apparatus and process for coalescing bitumen in an oil sand slurry,” Inventors: B. Bara, M. Lipsett, W. Maciejewski, S. Ng.
Patent Applications (3):
Canadian Patent Application 2,780,169, filed June 8, 2012; “Hyperspectral Imaging for Ore Froth Processing.” Inventors: Rivard, Benoit; Lipsett, Michael; Feng, Jilu.
U.S. Provisional Patent Application 14/569,556, filed Feb 29, 2016: Soft Soil Sampling Device and System: Inventors: Dwyer, Stephen; Lipsett, Michael; Olmedo, Nicolas; Yuen, James.
U.S. Provisional Patent Application 15/063,846 filed March 15, 2016: All-Terrain Vehicle. Inventors: Dwyer, Stephen; Lipsett, Michael; Olmedo, Nicolas; Yuen, James.
RESEARCH CONTRIBUTIONS & PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS (Students are underlined. * indicates corresponding author. Students are listed as first author unless I wrote the entire manuscript.)
Articles in Refereed Publications ( 30 published or accepted 2010-present, and non-university contributions 2005-2009)
- I Entezari, B Rivard*, M.G. Lipsett. “Predicting the abundance of clays and quartz in oil sands using hyperspectral measurements.” Int’l J App Earth Obs’n & Geoinfo (JAG-D-17-00038 accepted)
- I Entezari, B Rivard*, M.G. Lipsett, G.W. Wilson (2016). “Prediction of Water Content and Normalized Evaporation from Oil Sands Soft Tailings Surface Using Hyperspectral Observations” Can. Geotech. J. 53: 1742–1750 (2016) dx.doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2015-0416.
- R Sabbagh, M. G. Lipsett, C. R. Koch, D. S. Nobes* (2016). “Predicting Equivalent Settling Area Factor in Hydrocyclones; A Method for Determining Tangential Velocity Proﬁle.” Separation and Puriﬁcation Technology Journal, Vol 163, pp 341—351 DOI: 10.1016/j.seppur.2016.03.009.
- R. Sabbagh, M. Lipsett; C. Koch; D. Nobes* (2016). “An experimental investigation on hydrocyclone underflow pumping.” Powder Technology Volume 305, January 2017, Pages 99–108 DOI:10.1016/j.powtec.2016.09.045
- I Entezari, B Rivard, M.G. Lipsett. “Estimation of Methylene Blue Index in oil sands tailings using hyperspectral data.” Can J Chem Eng (accepted) 10.1002/cjce.22644.
- N. A. Olmedo*, M.G. Lipsett (2016). “Design and field experimentation of a robotic system for tailings characterization.” J Unmanned Veh Sys 4(3): 169-192, 10.1139/juvs-2015-0034
- A Kotchon, DS Nobes, MG Lipsett* (2016). “Damage Detection in Tires Using Image-Based Strain Measurements.” Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention 16(3), 438-448 DOI: 10.1007/s11668-016-0104-3.
- R. Sabbagh, M. G. Lipsett, C. R. Koch, D. S. Nobes (2016). “Predicting Equivalent Settling Area Factor in Hydrocyclones; A Method for Determining Tangential Velocity Proﬁle,” Separation and Puriﬁcation Technology Journal, Vol 163, pp 341—351 DOI: 10.1016/j.seppur.2016.03.009.
- R. Sabbagh, M.G. Lipsett, D.S. Nobes* (2105). “Hydrocyclone Performance and Energy Consumption Prediction: A Comparison with Other Centrifugal Separators.” J Separation Science & Technology V50, No6, 2015, pp 788-801 DOI:10.1080/01496395.2014.978463.
- A Rezaei, A. Dadouche, R Anderson, M Lipsett (2015). “Multi-sensor based framework for gear condition monitoring – Part 1.” International Journal of Condition Monitoring IJCM-11-2014-OA-0095, accepted.
- M. Speta, B. Rivard*, J. Feng, M. Lipsett, M. Gingras (2015). “Hyperspectral imaging for the determination of bitumen content in Athabasca oil sands core samples.” AAPG Bulletin 01/2015; DOI: 10.1306/03021514121
- A. Setayashagar, M. G. Lipsett, C.R. Koch, D.S. Nobes* (2015). “Particle Motion in a Macro-Scale Multi-Wavelength Acoustic Field.” Journal of Fluids Engineering (FE-14-1010), accepted.
- M. Hajizadeh, M.G. Lipsett* (2015). “Anomaly detection in mining haul truck suspension struts.” Int’l J Condition Monitoring LSST-2014-7571 Vol 5 No 1 March 11 pp. DOI:10.1784/204764215814981602.
- A Gustafson, M Lipsett, H Schunnesson, D Galar, & U Kumar, U. (2014). “Development of a Markov model for production performance optimisation: Application for semi-automatic and manual LHD machines in underground mines.” International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, 28(5), 342-355. 10.1080/17480930.2013.862026
- C. Poveda, MG Lipsett (2014). “An integrated approach for sustainability assessment: the Wa-Pa-Su project sustainability rating system.” Int’l J Sustainable Development & World Ecology 01/2014; 21(1). DOI:10.1080/13504509.2013.876677
- A. Fotouh, J. D. Wolodko, M. Lipsett* (2014). “Fatigue of Natural Fiber Thermoplastic Composites.” J Composites Part B: Engineering. DOI:10.1016/j.compositesb.2014.02.023 37 pp.
- A. Fotouh, J. D. Wolodko, M. Lipsett* (2014) “A Review of Aspects Affecting Performance and Modeling of Short-Natural-Fiber-Reinforced Polymers under Monotonic & Cyclic Loading Conditions.” J Polymer Composites (13-1347.R2) 13 pp.
- A. Fotouh, J. D. Wolodko, M. Lipsett* (2014) “Characterization and Modeling of Strain Rate Hardening in Natural-Fiber-Reinforced Viscoplastic Polymer”, J Polymer Composites, DOI: 10.1002/pc.22894 8 pp.
- AR Farahani*, M.G. Lipsett (2013). “Framework for Designing Effective Condition Monitoring and Maintenance Systems.” Int’l J Cond Monitor’g & Diagnostic Eng Mgmt Vol 16, No4, pp 41-54.
- M.G. Lipsett*, R. Vaghar Anzabi (2013). “Seasonal effects on haul truck tyre life.” Int’l J Strategic Eng Asset Mgmt, Vol1, No3, DOI: 10.1504/IJSEAM.2013.056327 pp 316 – 327
- C.A. Poveda*, M.G. Lipsett (2013) “Design of Performance Improvement Factors (PFIs) for Sustainable Development Indicators (SDIs) Metrics for Oil Sands Projects with Application to Surface Mining Operations Based on Continual Performance Improvement (CPI).” J Sustainable Development Vol. 6, No. 8, August 2013 DOI:10.5539/jsd.v6n8p52 pp 52-70.
- D.L. Romanyk, S.S. Liu, M.G. Lipsett, R.W. Toogood, M.O. Lagravère, P.W. Major, J.P. Carey (2013) “Towards a viscoelastic model for the unfused midpalatal suture: Development & validation using the midsagittal suture in New Zealand white Rabbits.” J Biomech, V 46, N 10, pp 1618-25.
- M.G. Lipsett*, R. Gallardo-Bobadilla. (2013). “Modeling Risk in Discrete Multi-State Repairable Systems.” Asset Condition, Information Systems and Decision Models: Engineering Asset Management Review 2013 (10.1007/978-1-4471-2924-0_10), Springer, pp. 187-205.
- T.P. Michailides, M.G. Lipsett* (2012). “Surveying Employee Attitudes on Corporate Social Responsibility at the Frontline Level of an Energy Transportation Company.” J Corporate Social Responsibility & Environmental Management DOI: 10.1002/csr. 1297, July 2012, 25 pp.
- R. Yousefi Moghaddam, A. Kotchon, M. G. Lipsett* (2012). “Estimation of Soil Parameters during Excavation.” J Terramechanics 49 DOI 10.1016/j.jterra.2012.05.002, July 2012, pp. 173-189.
- L. Mottola*, M.J. Scoble, M.G. Lipsett (2012). “Machine Monitoring and Automation as Enablers of Lean Mining.” AusIMM Bulletin, J Australian Mining Society, April 2012, pp. 32-38.
- C.A. Poveda, M.G. Lipsett*(2011). “A Review of Sustainability Assessment and Sustainability Environmental Rating Systems and Credit Weighting Tools.” J Sustainable Development, Vol. 4, No. 6; Dec 2011, pp 36-55.
- M.G. Lipsett*, V. Bhushan (2011). “Modeling Erosion Wear Rates in Slurry Flotation Cells.” J. Failure Analysis & Prevention, DOI 10.1007/s11668-01-9496-2, Aug 2011, 15 pp.
- C.A. Poveda, M.G. Lipsett* (2011). “Rating System for Sustainability of Industrial Projects with Application in Oil Sands and Heavy Oil Projects: Areas of Excellence, Sub-Divisions, and Management Interactions.” J Sustainable Development, Vol. 4, No.4 August 2011, 11 pp.
- C.Poveda, M.G. Lipsett* (2011). “A Rating System for Sustainability of Industrial Projects with Application in Oil Sands and Heavy Oil Projects: Origins and Fundamentals” J. Sustainable Development, Vol. 4, No. 3, June 2011, 10 pp.
- B.Rivard*, D. Lyder, J. Feng, A. Gallie, E. Cloutis, P. Dougan, S. Gonzalez, D. Cox, M.G. Lipsett (2010). “Bitumen Content Estimation of Athabasca Oil Sand from Broad Band and Infrared Reflectance Spectra.” Canadian J. of Chemical Engineering. CJCE-09-0112.R1, June 2010, 9 pp.
- W.M. Gilbert, J.F. Forbes*, M.G. Lipsett (2010). “Trajectory Planning for Grade Transitions: A Restricted Form Approach.” Canadian J. of Chemical Engineering. Vol. 88, June 2010, pp432-441.
- M.A. Timusk, M.G. Lipsett, J. McBain, C.K. Mechefske* (2009). “Automated Operating Mode Classification for Online Monitoring Systems.” ASME J Vib & Acoustics. Vol 131 Aug.2009,10 pp.
- S. Dessureault, M.G. Lipsett, M. Scoble (2009). “Achieving the Benefits of Information Technology in Surface and Underground Mining Processes.” Canadian Institute of Mining Bulletin. March/April 2009. paper #23, 5 pp.
- M. Timusk, M. Lipsett and C.K. Mechefske* (2008). “Fault detection using transient machine signals,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 22 (2008) 1724–1749.
- M. Lipsett. “Mining Innovation,” CIM Bulletin May 2008, pp. 42-43.
- M.G. Lipsett. “Innovation: Where Will the Next Good Idea Come From?” CIM Bulletin, January 2007, 2 pp.
- M.A. Timusk, C.K. Mechefske, M. Lipsett (2005). “A Pragmatic Framework for On-Line Neural Network Based Fault Detection of Machinery.” Int’l J of COMADEM 8(1), January 2005, pp. 35-41.
Books and book chapters:
M.G. Lipsett (2013). “Reliability and Maintenance of Oil Sands Bitumen Production Systems.” Chapter 13 of Handbook on Theory and Practice of Bitumen Recovery from Athabasca Oil Sands, Vol. II: Industrial Practice. J. Czarnecki et al (Ed). Kingsley, pp 419 – 473.
C.A. Poveda, M.G. Lipsett (2013) Surface Mining Operations in Oil Sands: Establishing Sustainable Development Indicators (SDIs) WIT Press.
M.G. Lipsett*, R.Y. Moghaddam (2011) “Modeling Excavator-Soil Interaction.” Bifurcations, Instabilities & Degradations in Geomaterials, Springer Series in Geomech & Geoeng’g, pp 347-366.
Submitted or in revision: (7 additional manuscripts are currently in preparation)
- Hajizadeh, MG Lipsett*. “Application of interacting multiple-model-based fault detection method on a hydraulic two-tank system.” Int’l J of Condition Monitoring IJCM-03-2016-OA-0121in review.
- DJ Loewen, MG Lipsett*. “Modeling Wear in a Slurry Pipeline Using A Modified Two-Layer Concentration Model.” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (HYENG-10003) in revision.
- R. Sabbagh, M. Lipsett; C. Koch; D. Nobes*. “The influence of an underflow pump on hydrocyclones separation performance”. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. ie-2015-04598t in revision.
- R. Farahani, M.G. Lipsett. “Performance Measurement of Maintenance Management Systems: Including the Enterprise System” J of Quality in Maintenance Eng. (JQME-12-2012-0048) in revision.
- R. delos Reyes, M.G.Lipsett, K.C. Cadien. “Dynamic Testing of a Silicon Piezoresistive MEMS Strain Sensor.” IEEE Trans on Industrial Electronics. In revision.
- M.G. Lipsett. “Looseness Detection and Identification in Robotic Manipulators and Other Serial Kinematic Chains.” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing (MSSP12-137 in revision).
Other Refereed Contributions (partial list: 2008-present, non-university 2004-2007) (*presenter).
- MG Lipsett*, N Olmedo, B Tesfay (2017). “A Wireless System for Conducting Remote Vibration Monitoring Using a Remotely Operated Deployment Robot.” Proc 1st World Congress on Condition Monitoring (WCCM), London, June 12-15, 2017, accepted.
- MG Lipsett* (2017). “How System Observability Affects Fault Classification Accuracy & Implications for Sensor Selection & Placement for Condition Monitoring.”1st WCCM, London, accepted.
- C Ying, MG Lipsett* (2017). “Using Vibration and Acoustic Emissions to Monitor Wear Damage in a Slurry Pipeline.” Proc 1st WCCM, London, accepted.
- I Dadon*, N Koren, J Bortman, R Klein, MG Lipsett (2017). “Clearance influence on vibrations of gear systems.” Proc 1st WCCM, London, accepted.
NA Olmedo, SC Dwyer, JD Yuen, MG Lipsett. Amphibious Robot for Environmental Monitoring Proc Int’l Oil Sands Tailings Conf, Lake Louise, AB, Dec 4-7, 2016
NA Olmedo, GW Wilson, MG Lipsett. Advanced Robotic Payloads For Measuring Properties Of Tailings Deposits, Proc Int’l Oil Sands Tailings Conf, Lake Louise, AB, Dec 4-7, 2016
I Entezari, B Rivard, MG Lipsett, GW Wilson. Hyperspectral Sensing In Support Of Oil Sands Tailings Operation and Management. Proc Int’l Oil Sands Tailings Conf, Lake Louise, AB, Dec 4-7, 2016
- MG Lipsett* (2016). “Using Unmanned Aerial Systems for Condition Monitoring of Rotating Equipment and Structural Health Monitoring.” Machinery Failure Prevention Tech Conf Dayton OH May 24-26, 2016.
- MG Lipsett*, A Shadkar, MT Hendry (2016). “Reliability of Rail Sensing Systems.” Machinery Failure Prevention Tech Conf Dayton OH May 24-26, 2016.
- MG Lipsett*, C Ying, MT Hendry. “Condition Monitoring of Rail Car Air Brake Systems Using Ultrasound.” Machinery Failure Prevention Tech Conf Dayton OH May 24-26, 2016.
- S.P. Taubner, M.G. Lipsett*, A. Keller, T.M.V. Kaiser.”Gravity Inflow Performance Relationship for SAGD Production Wells”. SPE-180714-MS accepted.
- A. Seif*, MG Lipsett, A Kumar (2015). “Reliability and Energy Intensity Development of Critical Sub-System Equipment for Oil Sands Mining”. Accelerated Stress Testing and Reliability Conference, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, September 2015, 12 pp.
- L. Ibarra, MG Lipsett*, M Hendry (2015). “Classification Accuracy of Automated Railway Wheel Fault Detection Technologies.” Machinery Failure Prevention Tech Conf Huntsville AL May 12-14, 2015.
- A. Shadkar, MG Lipsett*, M Hendry (2015). “Reliability Study of Wheel Temperature Detectors.” Machinery Failure Prevention Tech Conf Huntsville AL May 12-14, 2015.
- MG Lipsett*, V. Poddar (2015). “Air Brake Cold Weather Reliability Improvement Using Ultrasonic Leak Detection.” Machinery Failure Prevention Tech Conf Huntsville AL May 12-14.
- M. Lipsett*, N. Olmedo, B. Rivard, GW Wilson (2014). “Robotic systems for measuring properties of tailings deposits and collecting samples.” Fourth International Oil Sands Tailings Conference. Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada: December 7-10, 2014, pp. 483-491.
- N Olmedo*, MG Lipsett. “Soil parameter estimation and sample collection using an unmanned ground vehicle”. Fourth International Oil Sands Tailings Conference. Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada: December 7-10, 2014, pp. 475-482.
- R Sabbagh*, M.G. Lipsett, C.R. Koch and D.S. Nobes (2014). “A mathematical model of equivalent settling area for predicting hydrocyclone separation performance.” European Conf on Fluid-Particle Separation, October 15-17, Lyon, France
- N. A. Olmedo*, H. Zhang, M.G. Lipsett (2014). “Mobile robot system architecture for people tracking and following applications.” Proc IEEE Int’l Conf on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), DOI: 10.1109/ROBIO.2014.7090434
- MG Lipsett* (2014) “Design of a Modular, Cost-Effective Embedded Wireless Condition Monitoring System for Asset Management of Distributed Fleets.” Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies Conf. Virginia Beach, May 20-22 2014, 12 pp.
- I Entezari*, B. Rivard, MG Lipsett, GW Wilson (2014). “Estimation of Moisture Content and Activity of Oilsands Tailings Using Hyperspectral Techniques.” IEEE international geoscience and remote sensing symposium 2014, Quebec, QC. 4 pp.
- L Ibarra*, MG Lipsett, M Hendry. (2014) “Comparative Assessment of Manual and Automated Railway Wheels Inspection Means for Fault Detection.” Proc. 2nd Int’l Conf on Railway Technology: Research, Development and Maintenance, Ajaccio, Corsica, April 8-12 2014, 13 pp.
- I Entezari*, B. Rivard, M. Lipsett, G. Wilson, G. (2013). “Application of hyperspectral remote sensing in estimation of oilsands tailings water content.” 5th IEEE GRSS Workshop on Hyperspectral image and signal processing. Gainesville, Florida, 25-28 June. 4 pp.
- I Entezari*, B. Rivard, M. Lipsett, G. Wilson, G. (2013). “Water content estimation of oil sands tailings using remote hyperspectral sensing.” 34th Can. Symp Remote Sensing, Victoria, Aug 27-29.
- M Speta,* B. Rivard, J. Feng, M. Lipsett, M. Gingras. “Hyperspectral Imaging for the Characterization of Athabasca Oil Sands Drill Core.” IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS) Melbourne July 21-26.
- A Setayeshgar*, M.G. Lipsett, C. R. Koch, D.S. Nobes (2013). “Measurement of particle dynamics in a coherent acoustic field.” 10th Int Symp Particle Image Velocimetry Delft July 1-3, 6pp
- CA Poveda, M.G. Lipsett. “Using Sustainable Development Indicators (SDIs) for Sustainability Assessment of Surface Mining Operations in the Oil Sands Projects: Applicability, Usefulness and Cost.” Energy and Sustainability 2013 Conference. Bucharest, June 19-21, 13 pp.
- M Hajizadeh, M.G. Lipsett (2013) “Anomaly detection in two-tank system using interacting multiple-model-based fault detection method.” Machine Failure Prevention Tech Conf. Cleveland May 14-1, 2013, 12 pp.
- CA Poveda*, M.G. Lipsett (2012). “Wa-Pa-Su Project Sustainability Rating System: Assessing Sustainability in Oil Sands & Heavy Oil Projects.” Enviro Impact, New Forest UK, 3-5 July 2012, 13 pp.
- AC Kotchon*, M.G. Lipsett, D.S. Nobes (2012) “Optical Strain Measurement for Fault Detection in Haul Truck Tires.” Proceedings 25th International Congress on Condition Monitoring & Diagnostic Engineering Management (COMADEM), Huddersfield, UK, 18-20 June 2012
- AC Kotchon*, D.S. Nobes, M.G. Lipsett (2012) “Haul Truck Tire Condition Monitoring Using Optical Techniques” Proc. 9th Int’l Conf on Condition Monitoring & Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, London, UK, 11-13 June 2012.
- R Vaghar Anzabi*, D.S. Nobes, M.G. Lipsett (2012) “Optical Strain Measurement for Fault Detection in Haul Truck Tires.” Proc. 25th Int’l Congress COMADEM, Huddersfield 18-20 June.
- M Hajizadeh, M.G. Lipsett*. “Application of continuous wavelet transform and principal component analysis for anomaly detection in mining haul truck suspension struts.” Proc. 9th Int’l Conf Condition Mon. & Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, London, UK, 11-13 June 2012
- A Rezaei*, A Dadouche, R.J. Anderson, M.G. Lipsett. “A Feature Selection Algorithm for Machine Multi-Class Fault Assessment.” Proc 9th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, London, UK, 11-13 June 2012
- N Olmedo*, M.G. Lipsett. “Oilsands Tailings Characterization Using a Robotic System.” Proc ASCE Earth and Space 2012: Engineering, Science, Construction, and Operations in Challenging Environments, Pasadena CA, April 2012, pp. 1167-1176
- J Yuen*, S. Dwyer, A. Kotchon, W. Moussa, M. Lipsett. “Commissioning and Vibration Isolation of a Low Cost UAS for Industrial and Environmental Remote Sensing Applications.” Proc ASCE Earth and Space 2012, Pasadena CA, April 2012, pp. 1380-1389.
- MG Lipsett. “Using Parametric Dynamical Models to Determine Observability Requirements for Condition Monitoring Systems.” Proc. 2nd Int’l Conf. Cond. Mon. in Non-Steady Ops, March 2012 Tunisia, 10 pp.
- MG Lipsett*, R. Vaghar-Anzabi. “Seasonal Effects on Haul Truck Tire Life.” Proc Maintenance Performance Measurement & Management, Lulea, Sweden, Dec 14-16, 2011, 6 pp.
- MG Lipsett*, M Hajizadeh. “Using Telemetry to Identify Haul Truck Engine and Suspension Faults.” Proc MPMM Lulea Dec 14-16, 2011, 10 pp.
- L Mottola*, M.J. Scoble, M.G. Lipsett. “Machine Monitoring and Automation as Enablers of Lean Mining.” Proc. 2nd Int’l Future Mining 2011, Sydney, Nov 22-23, 2011, 6 pp.
- MG Lipsett, J. D. Yuen*, N. A. Olmedo, S. C. Dwyer. “Condition Monitoring of Remote Industrial Installations Using Robotic Systems.” Proc. World Congress on Engineering Asset Management (WCEAM) Cincinnati Oct 2-5, 2011. (Invited)
- A Setayeshgar, M.G. Lipsett, C.R. Koch, D.S. Nobes, D.S. “Investigating the particles motion in ultrasonic acoustic wave field using PIV/PTV”, International Congress of Ultrasonics, Gdansk, Poland, 5-8 September, 2011.
- J Wolodko, A. Fotouh*, and M.G. Lipsett. “Manufacturing and Mechanical Characterization of Natural Fibre Reinforced Thermoplastic Composites.” Proc AES-ATEMA’ Int’l Conf. Advances and Trends in Engineering Materials and their Applications, Montreal August 1-5, 2011, 7 pp.
- M Hajizadeh, M.G. Lipsett*. “Anomaly detection in mining haul truck suspensions using wavelet analysis of strut pressures and parametric modeling of strut damage.” Proc 8th Int’l Conf on Condition Mon. and Machinery Failure Prevention Tech., Cardiff, UK 20-22 June 2011, 12 pp.
- MG Lipsett*, R. Vaghar Anzabi, A. Kotchon, and D.S. Nobes. “Condition monitoring for mining haul truck tires.” Proc 8th Int’l Conf on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies (CM 2011 and MFPT 2011), Cardiff, UK 20-22 June 2011, 12 pp.
- B Rivard*, J. Feng, V. Bhushan, and M. Lipsett. “Infrared Reflectance Hyperspectral Features of Athabasca Oilsand Ore and Froth.” Proc IEEE Int’l Conf on Remote Sensing (Whispers 2011) Lisbon Portugal 3 June, 4 pp. (Best Paper Award)
- NA Olmedo*, S.C. Dwyer, J.D. Yuen, MG Lipsett. “Soft Soil Parameter Estimation and Traction Control of a Gas Powered Rover for Environmental Monitoring of Oil Sands Tailings.” Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics, Vancouver June 2011 4 pp.
- V Bhushan, M.G. Lipsett*. “Damage Modeling and Condition Monitoring of Flotation Cells.” Proc 24th Int’l Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management (COMADEM) Stavanger Norway, May 30 – June 1 2011, 10 pp.
- R Vaghar Anzabi, M.G. Lipsett*. “Reliability analysis and condition monitoring methods for off-road haul truck tires.” Proc 24th COMADEM Stavanger Norway, May 30 – June 1 2011, 10 pp.
- MG Lipsett*, Benoit Rivard. Conceptual Design of a Remote System for Characterizing Oilsands Tailings Deposits.” Proc 2nd Int’l Oilsands Tailings Conf. Edmonton Dec 6-8, 2010, 8 pp.
- RY Moghaddam*, MG Lipsett. “Modeling, Simulation & Fault Detection in Excavators with Time-Varying Loading.” Proc 2010 IEEE/ASME Int’l Conf on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Montreal July 6-9 2010, 6 pp.
- S Dwyer, J. Yuen, A. Hakman, M. Mills, C. Wong, N. Olmedo, D. Sloan, R. Worobec, A Jazayeri, S. Redl, J. Bottoms, J. Schoepp, H. Evans, C. Lee, D. St. Pierre, D. Pollard, M. G. Lipsett, DG. Elliott. “Methodology and Design of a Small-Scale Unmanned Aircraft System for Georeferenced Image Acquisition,” Proc 2010 AUVSI Student UAS Competition, St. Inigoes, MD, June 16-20, 2010, pp. 10.1-10.20.
- D Loewen*, S El-Sayed, and M.G. Lipsett. “Harmonic Filter Design for a Fluid Shear Sensor.” Proc. Can Soc for Mech Eng CSME FORUM 2010 June 7-9, 2010, Victoria BC, 6 pp.
- RY Moghaddam*, MG Lipsett. “Design, Commissioning & Modeling of a Shovel Test Rig for Fault Diagnosis of a Time-Varying System.” Proc.CSME FORUM June 7-9, 2010, Victoria, 8 pp.
- MG Lipsett*. “Methods for Assessing Dynamic Performance of Shovels.” Proc.18th Int´l Symposium on Mine Planning and Equipment Selection Banff Nov 2009, 9 pp.
- SC Dwyer*, MG Lipsett. “A Robotic System to Cap Soft Tailings Deposits.” Mine Waste 2 Banff, Nov, 2009, 5 pp.
- MG Lipsett.* “Incorporating Damage Models in Deterministic System Models to Model Reli-ability in Time-Varying Systems.” Proc BINDT Condition Monitoring, Dublin June 23, 2009, 10 pp.
- S El Sayed, M Lipsett.* “Monitoring Wear in Slurry Pipelines.” 22nd Int’l COMADEM Congress San Sebastian, June 11 2009
- MG Lipsett, S El-Sayed.* “Simple Predictive Model of Slurry Wear in a Pipeline with Bed Flow.” Proc Global Petroleum Congress, Calgary, June 10 2009.
- MD Evans,* DS Nobes, MG Lipsett. “Design of an Apparatus for Determining the Effects of Acoustic Stimulation on the Rheological Properties of Oils and Multi-Phase Fluids.” Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics, Halifax June 2009 (extended abstract)
- RY. Moghaddam*, M.G. Lipsett. “Reliability Assessment and Condition Monitoring of a Shovel Test Bed,” Proc 3rd World Congress on Engineering Asset Management Beijing, Oct 2008.
- M Lipsett, “Modeling wear damage accumulation in slurry pipeline systems,” Proc British Inst NDT Condition Monitoring 2008, Edinburgh, July 2008.
- MG Lipsett, R.Y. Moghaddam*, “Dynamic Effect of Ground Looseness on Hydraulic Shovel Performance.” Proc 5 Intl Workshop on Bifurcations, Instabilities and Degradations in Geomaterials, Lake Louise, May 2008.
- MG. Lipsett*, M-J Zuo, A. Scaffo-Migliaro, “Operability and Maintainability of In-Pit Oil Sands Bitumen Production Systems.” World Heavy Oil Congress, Edmonton March 10-12, 2008.
- MG Lipsett*, A. Scaffo-Migliaro. “Modeling and Simulation of the Operability and Reliability of an Oilsands At-Face Slurrying System.” 57th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference/Oilsands 2007, Edmonton, Oct 30, 2007.
- M Timusk*, M Lipsett , C.K. Mechefske, “Automated Duty Cycle Classification for Online Monitoring Systems.” Proc. ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference, 20th Biennial Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise, Symposium on Engineering Asset Management, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 4-7 September 2007. (MMO)
- M Lipsett, R. Gallardo, M. Zuo. “Modeling Risk in Discrete Multi-State Repairable Systems.” Proc. Second World Congress on Engineering Asset Management (WCEAM) and The Fourth International Conference on Condition Monitoring, 11-14 June 2007, Harrogate UK, 10 pp.
Non-Refereed Contributions, and Student Contributions (partial list)
- MG Lipsett*, R. Vaghar Anzabi. “Seasonal Effects on Haul Truck Tire Life.” 1st Int’l Conf. Maintenance Performance Measurement & Management, Lulea Sweden, Dec 13, 2011.
- MG Lipsett*, M. Hajizadeh. “Using Telemetry to Identify Haul Truck Engine and Suspension Faults.” 1st Int’l Conf. Maint. Performance Meas. & Management, Lulea Sweden, Dec 13, 2011.
- R Farahani*. “Assessment and prediction of erosion in completion systems under hydraulic fracturing operations using computational fluid dynamics.” Society of Petroleum Engineers Annual Technical Conference, Denver, USA, 2011, SPE-147514 (Best paper award, well stimulation)
- M Hajizadeh*, MG Lipsett. “Detecting Faults in Haul Truck Suspension Struts.” Can Chem Eng Conf Saskatoon Oct 2010.
- V Bhushan, MG Lipsett*. “Modeling erosion damage on the walls of a flotation cell.” MITACS Annual Conf. Edmonton May 2010.
- M Godin, B. Peachey, M. Jamieson, M. Lipsett, T. Heidrick, Evaluation of Oil Sands Research and Innovation Effectiveness. CANMET 2009. (162 pp)
- M Godin, M. Lipsett*, B. Peachey, T. Heidrick, “Direct Contact Steam Generator for Heavy Oil and Oil Sands Applications.” Proc. Global Petroleum Conference Calgary AB June 10-12 2008.
- MG. Lipsett*. “Robotics and Automation in Oil Sands Bitumen Production and Maintenance.” Proc. National Conference of Canadian Institute of Mining, Edmonton AB May 5-7, 2008, 12 pp.
Contributions to Practical Applications of Knowledge
Bringing research results into industrial practice is an important part of my work. At Syncrude until 2006, I provided formal supervision and leadership for a team that averaged 20 full-time researchers with a budget of $4.5M per year, with administrative responsibilities and research work, providing advice on technology strategies to operating departments and senior management, including reliability programs. External publication was limited (primarily as company secrets and some patents).
Special Lectures & Invited Talks (Partial List since 2007)
- MG Lipsett. “Unmanned Aerial Systems for Condition Monitoring and Integrity Assessment for Distributed and Remote Assets”. 5th Israel PHM Conference (Mar 14 2016).
- MG Lipsett. “Embedded Systems for Condition Monitoring of Vehicle Fleets, Railcars, and Pipelines.” Dalhousie University (Feb 2015).
- MG Lipsett. Plenary Keynote MFPT Conf. Virginia Beach (May 2014).
- MG Lipsett. “Robotics for Industrial Environmental Monitoring.” TU Berlin (April 2014)
- A Gupta*, M.G. Lipsett*. “Mission-Oriented Research and Alberta’s Oilsands.” Alberta Innovates Summit, Banff, June 17, 2013
- MG Lipsett*, B. Rivard. “Spectral Sensing for Characterization and Monitoring of Oil Sands Tailings Deposits.” Centre for Oil Sands Innovation Tailings Workshop, Edmonton, Sept 27, 2013.
- MG Lipsett. “Challenges and Opportunities in Unconventional Oil Production.” University of Trinidad & Tobago, Port of Spain, Oct. 5, 2013.
- MG Lipsett. “Unmanned Aerial Systems for Environmental Monitoring.” Alberta Environmental Monitoring Workshop. March 14, 2013, Edmonton.
- MG Lipsett. “Cold Weather Mechanical Reliability and Use of Improved Inspection Data for Maintenance Decision Making.” CARRL Stewardship meeting, Nov 23, 2012.
- MG Lipsett “Lean Mining as a Framework for Identifying Benchmarking Requirements.” Plenary Keynote, 1st Int’l Conf. Maint. Performance Measurement and Management, Lulea Sweden Dec 13, 2011.
- MG Lipsett “Some Links between Reliability and Safety.” Plenary Keynote, CIM Mining Safety & Reliability Conference, Calgary, Oct 12, 2011.
- MG Lipsett “Combining Physics-Based Models with Signal-Based Methods for Diagnostics and Prognostics.” Plenary Keynote, 8th Int’l Conf Condition Monitoring 2011, Cardiff, June 20, 2011.
- MG Lipsett “Oilsands Systems: Challenges and Opportunities for Natural Sciences, Engineering, Industry, and Communities.” How Science and Clean Tech Can ‘Green’ the Oil Sands, Canada 2020 Panel, Ottawa April 29, 2010. (Session Moderator: S. Fortier, President of NSERC)
- MG Lipsett “Reliability and Maintenance in Oilsands Operations.” Oilsands Heavy Oil Materials & Integrity Workshop. Edmonton Oct 28, 2009. (plus follow-up invited tutorial session at OSHOW 2010.)
- MG Lipsett “Terrestrial Analogues for Space Mining: Opportunities for Technology Implementation and Commercialization.” Plenary, Planetary & Terrestrial Mining Sci. Symp, Toronto, June 8, 2009.
- MG Lipsett “Reliability and Sustainability of Oilsands Bitumen Production.” TU Freiberg, June 18, 2007.
- MG Lipsett “Reliability and Maintenance in Oilsands Operations.” Shanghai Jiaotong U, April 2007.
Publications prior to 2007 (Internal Reports Are Not Listed)
T. Yoshikawa, M.G. Lipsett. “Design of an Experimental Robotic manipulator for Fast Transition between Proximity and Force Control.” Proceedings 32nd Joint Automatic Control Conference of the Japan Controls Society, Tokyo, 1989.
T. Yoshikawa, M.G. Lipsett. “Reducing End Effector Impacts Using Proximity Sensing.” Proceedings 7th Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, Tokyo, 1989.
M.G. Lipsett, T.N. Moore. “Using Robot End Effector Vibration Monitoring for Machinery Diagnostics and the Effect of Looseness in Joints.” Proceedings CSME Forum, Toronto, 1990.
M.G. Lipsett. “Engineering Education in Japan.” Proceedings 8th Canadian Conference on Engineering Education, Toronto, 1990.
T.N. Moore, J. Jeswiet, M.G. Lipsett. “Machinery Fault Diagnosis for Automated Machining Systems.” Proceedings 7th International Conference on Computer-Aided Production Engineering ICAPE, Cookeville TN, 1991.
H.D. Schwarz, R.A. Bell, J.A. Hodgson, J.G. Judkins, K.Ko, N. Kroll, C.K. Ng, R.P. Pendleton, K. Skarpaas, G. Lambertson, R. Rimmer, M.S. de Jong, T. Tran-Ngoc, F.P. Adams, M.G. Lipsett, W. Mellors. “Design of a High-Power Test Model of the PEP-II RF Cavity.” Proceedings of the 1993 Particle Accelerator Conference, Vol. 2, 1993.
R.E. Ellis, O.M. Ismaeil, M.G. Lipsett. “Design and Evaluation of a High-Performance Prototype Planar Haptic Interface.” Submitted to the ASME Journal of Machine Design. (Preliminary version presented at 1993 ASME Winter Annual Meeting.)
M.G. Lipsett. Development of a Slide Rig and Planar Robotic Manipulator for the Study of Mechanical Looseness Faults. Technical Report, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Queen’s University. Kingston, 1995.
M.G. Lipsett. “Looseness Fault Diagnosis in Robotic Manipulators.” Proceedings Eighth International Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management, Kingston, 1995.
M.G. Lipsett. “Machinery Diagnostics Using Motor Current Analysis.” Proceedings Eighth International Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management, Kingston, 1995.
M.G. Lipsett, K.H. Rody. “Using Mobile Robots for Reactor Maintenance.” Third International Conference on CANDU Maintenance, Toronto, November 1995.
M.G. Lipsett, R.T. Zemdegs. Condition-Based Maintenance at PND.
RE Ellis, OM Ismaeil, MG Lipsett (1996) Design and evaluation of a high-performance haptic interface Robotica 14 (03), 321-327
M. Greenspan, M. Lipsett, J. Ballantyne, P. Renton, E. Gagnon, N. Burtnyk. “Laser Range Vision for Tele-Excavation,” Proc. 1996 CSA/DND Workshop on Rob. and Exp. Sys., 1996.
J. Coward, M. Lipsett. “Analysis of Mine Equipment Condition Monitoring Data.” Proc. MINESIM 1996, Athens (Internet), 1996.
J. Ballantyne, M. Greenspan, M. Lipsett. “Virtual Environments for Remote Operations.” ANS Topical Meeting on Robotics and Remote Systems, Raleigh NC March 1997.
M.G. Lipsett, W.J. Ballantyne, M. Greenspan. Virtual Environments for Surface Mining Operations. CIM Bulletin, January 1998.
A. Fair, J. Oxenford, J. Coward, M.G. Lipsett. A Vision for Mining at Syncrude. Syncrude R&D Seminar 5 November 1997.
M.G. Lipsett, An Infrastructure for Surface Mining Equipment Teleoperation, Proc. CIM AGM 1998.
L Mottola, M Lipsett, M Scoble (1999). “Transforming the mining industry through electronic commerce.” CIM bulletin 92 (1030), 45-52
E Dupuis, GR Gillett, P Boulanger, E Edwards, MG Lipsett (1999). Interactive intelligent remote operations: application to space robotics Photonics East’99, 153-161
S. Blouin, A. Hemami, M.G. Lipsett. “Qualitative Review of Models for Earthmoving Processes.” Journal of Aerospace Engineering, March 2000 14 (3), 102-111.
R Gillett, MG Lipsett (2000). “Robotics Leading the Way to Sustained Human Presence in Space.” INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ROBOTICS 31, 428-433
RA Hall, LK Daneshmend, MG Lipsett, J Wong (2000). “A reliability analysis as a tool for surface mining equipment evaluation and selection.” CIM bulletin 93 (1044), 78-82